Tuesday, November 27, 2007

37 Minutes

I'm surprised I'm going to even write about this, in a public blog it is a rather personal matter but for some reason I just feel it is the right thing to do. I know I can't be the only one whoever experience something like this and my pondering on these events may help someone going through the same or similar experiences.

While my Mom was here we decided to go shopping I took her out to the Macey's in Bowie MD a place neither she nor I had been. There was my 83 year old and I in a rather large store. She wanted to pick out my Christmas present for her and I was happy to let her do so. I turned my head and she was gone. I really didn't think much of it but after a few minutes I began to look for her. I walked and walked and walked but could not find her. She is rather short and sometimes the clothes racks hide her. I continued to search and look and I even went to the car to see if she went there. It had been 37 minutes and she was nowhere to be found. All kinds of thoughts went through my head. Was she afraid ? was she worried that I would be upset? Would she be embarrassed? Did something happend to her? Was she all right? It seemed so ironic how our roles had changed now I am now the care giver. I was the one looking for her, she was not looking for me. Finally I went to the customer service center and had her paged. When She didn't appear was close to being beside myself 45 minutes had passed.

As I took another sweaty lap around the store there she was at a check out counter trying to pay for my Christmas present to her because she could not find me. As I walked up I heard her saying to the clerk. How can I find my son. He had me paged but I don't know where to go.

I think in the end it was more stressful for me than for her. She didn't seem so concerned when I finally appeared but the whole event helped me understand more that now it is my turn to love it is my turn to protect and to care for the one who cared for me for so many years.

I hope and pray that I am up to the task. I hope that I will have a generous heart and the knowledge I need to love someone who has always loved me so well.

37 pretty scary moments. lots to think about for sure. As this great generation prepares to go home to God may we who have been loved so much by them be willing and able to love them in return.

Amen

So many kids went to confession in Conaty tonight I was so moved by their desire to be better people. We really do have great student ministers.

No comments: